Thursday, February 10, 2011

Marathon Minutes

I just realized I now I have 5 more minutes to qualify for the Boston Marathon. I have to run a race in 3:20 or less to get in instead of 3:15. That is now only 15 minutes faster than my best time. 5 more minutes never looked so good. That is a 7:33 pace. Not a cakewalk...for sure. Time to build a faster me, a stronger me.

While this goal is great I do not want to forget to do one thing: Give thanks that I can run. It's all too often we get so hung up on our goals that we simply forget what a blessing it is to be able to get out there and run. Many of us run because we overcame something else. There's quite possibly a good reason you are a runner. For me it is something else. Running gives me freedom and puts me more in tune with my surroundings. We often go through the day and do not notice the world around us. We're stuck in buildings or behind the wheel. I notice so many things around me when I run, I travel down roads I would normally not. My senses are alive.

If your running isn't perfect and you feel like you are in a rut, wondering why you are doing this day after day--stop for a minute. Rejoice in the fact that you can run.

No comments: