Friday, July 18, 2008

Paid to Run


It sure is great to get paid for something you enjoy doing. For me, running. For the second time I have been hired to be a training 'pace leader' for the Nike Training program leading up to the Nike Women's Marathon in October.

This is a huge training program for Nike and its running marketing efforts. Last week there were roughly 600 people who showed up to run. Thankfully for me, my group was tiny. There were only 9 people at the 8-minutes per mile pace. There were something like 75 runners in the 9-minute group. I take a group of runners and make sure they stay on pace while making sure they enjoy the experience of running. For example, tomorrow we'll go on a nice, quick 6-mile run.

While there runners can try on and run with Nike shoes, experience the Nike+ system, enter a raffle for great prizes plus get free goodies.

I am not a big fan of running in groups as I have always enjoyed the solitude of running alone, but this is a nice change. The enthusiasm from the runners is quite infectious.

No comments: