Saturday, May 05, 2007

Job Security

I have been doing quite a bit of traveling recently, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and noticed security is big business. What if 9/11 did not happen? What would all these newly formed "security personal" be doing? I am not just talking about the mass of TSA staff at the airport but the "security" surrounding other vunerable locations.

While in New York I went to visit the Statue of Liberty. Everybody had to go through not one, but two security checkpoints. The second included an "air puff" machine which supposedly detected explosives.

Here is my beef with all this security, does it really protect us? Why is it I have to take off my shoes at the airport when I do not at the Statue of Liberty when it appears to be more secure in having two checkpoints? In order to visit the statue two people had to check my ticket and mark it with an 'x'. Necessary? That appeared to be their only job, using a marker to check my ticket.

Without noticing I did a little test. Going through security at one airport I forgot to take my wallet out of my pocket. My wallet containts a metal bar in it. The metal detector did not go off. Why must people remove their wallets in the first place? Afraid of the Swiss Army Knife Credit Card? The next time I forgot to take off my belt and again the metal detector did not respond.

Some would argue it is a deterent and it does prevent a lot of dangerous stuff from occuring. I can not argue with that. Security is big business and businesses will do everything it can to expand, needing more equipment and more people. I am glad all of these people have work. What would they be doing if we didn't need all this security?

No comments: